About the jobPOLITICO is looking for an enterprising, collaborative and versatile reporter to write about California technology policy and politics as part of our Sacramento newsroom. The reporter will cover key state-level debates with national implications for the tech sector — including legislation to regulate the cryptocurrency market, social media platforms and companies’ use of personal data — while tracking lobbying and political fundraising by major industry players.
This is a critical role in a state where we have big ambitions. The ideal candidate knows how to build a network of knowledgeable sources in state government and in the private sector and leverage it to produce stories with robust angles, provocative and fresh ideas and a clear sense of purpose. We want a fast, determined reporter who will break news and deliver high-impact enterprise — for an informed subscriber audience as well as our global readership.
What You’ll Need
- A strong interest in political journalism and familiarity with California politics and government
- Familiarity with tech policy issues or extensive experience developing a policy, political or government beat
- A track record of clean, clear, accurate and authoritative writing
- Smart, innovative ideas and a drive to be first on every big story
- Ability to juggle tight deadlines and a demanding pace
- A collaborative spirit and willingness to work as part of a team
- A rigorous commitment to fair-minded, nonpartisan journalism
- Campaign-finance reporting and data journalism experience a plus
We value our people. We offer a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package, including health and wellness benefits, commuter and cell phone reimbursements, retirement plans, as well as work-life balance flexibility and opportunities for career development. Click here for more on what we offer and what it’s like to work for POLITICO.
Let’s keep in touch. Follow us on Instagram and Twitter at @politicocareers and #meetPOLITICO for a deep dive into what makes us POLITICOs and our adventures. We’d love to hear from you! Want to join POLITICO but don’t see a job suited to you? Sign up to be a part of our Talent Network to be alerted of future opportunities.