About the job
Gould & Ratner LLP is seeking a Partner to join its Corporate Practice. The ideal candidate will have significant experience with transactional and corporate governance matters, including mergers and acquisitions, corporate structure (formation and reorganization), corporate contracts (operating agreements, license agreements, employment/compensation agreements, service contacts, buy/sell agreements, distribution agreements etc.), joint ventures, divestitures, venture capital and private equity, technology transactions, and corporate finance/bank lending.
Candidates can look forward to a practice that will include handling all aspects of complex transactions for clients of all sizes and across industries. This attorney will also gain direct client interaction, business development experience, and significant responsibility on complex and sophisticated legal matters. This is an excellent opportunity for an attorney who is highly motivated and seeking a positive career trajectory.
Please note that this role allows a flexible working schedule that allows for a hybrid and in-office presence.
- Experience working with angel investors, investment syndicates, and venture capital firms to assist in the formation of special purpose vehicles, investment clubs, and venture capital funds, is a plus (but not required).
- Ability to lead, negotiate, manage and close complex transactions, as well as draft material deal agreements and documents.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. The ideal candidate will be an integral part of the team, and will have the confidence and demeanor to interact and build relationships with the Firm’s clients. This attorney will serve as business advisor to clients, guiding them in a full range of legal matters throughout their life cycle.
- Portable book of business not required.
- A degree or background in business or finance is a plus.
- Candidates must be currently licensed in Illinois or licensed in another state with a UBE score that qualifies in Illinois for comity, be eligible to waive in, or be willing to sit for an upcoming IL bar exam (open to relocation candidates that meet these requirements).
- Opportunity to step into meaningful client relationships and be a key component of the Firm’s succession planning efforts
- Ample opportunity for business development
- Low turnover, collegial, and collaborative environment
- Health care, life and disability insurance
- Competitive compensation, benefits package, and a generous 401k plan
- Employee discounts and wellness programs
- Hybrid in-office/remote role based in our Chicago office
About Gould & Ratner
Gould & Ratner is an 80-year old Chicago law firm with a team of over 50 attorneys. Our team consists of a deep bench of sophisticated and experienced attorneys that provide exceptional legal service while affording our clients the benefits of working with an agile and entrepreneurial-minded team of results-oriented, well-rounded professionals.
Gould & Ratner is focused on building the next generation of leaders in law. Attorneys who come to Gould & Ratner stay at Gould & Ratner – providing continuity of service from generation to generation. Our associates have the opportunity to work in a professional, challenging and collegial midsized firm environment. Because of the diverse nature of our clients, our attorneys gain exposure to sophisticated transactions, complex litigation and intricate estate/wealth management planning, among other areas. Like the individuals and businesses we represent, our lawyers are skilled in a number of technical disciplines, have an entrepreneurial focus, adapt quickly to changing market conditions and provide excellent client service and value.
About Our Corporate Practice
Gould & Ratner’s Corporate Practice provides clients with sophisticated legal and business advice in areas ranging from business formation through business succession or the sale of a company.
We counsel institutions and executive teams, funds, prominent family business owners, entrepreneurs and other wealthy individuals on a variety of sophisticated and complex domestic and foreign transactions and business law issues including:
- Legal entity formation, reorganization and governance
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Joint ventures and strategic alliances
- Private equity, venture capital, and debt/financing
- Operating agreements
- Licensing agreements
- Executive, employment, and compensation arrangements
In the past decade, we have handled more than $8 billion in transactions. On average each year, we close 25 merger and acquisition transactions (up to $1 billion in value), 20 venture capital and 20 bank financings.
The Corporate Practice’s clients span a variety of industries, including: technology and media, high-tech manufacturing, transportation, automotive sales and distribution, consulting and professional services, software design and development, digital marketing and strategy, consumer packaged goods, banking and financial services, sports and entertainment, health life sciences, ESG, environmental and social consciousness, clean energy technology, cryptocurrency and blockchain.
Representing funds, investors in funds, family offices and other dynamic businesses, our team has extensive experience in negotiating and documenting their investment in private companies, including early stage, growth stage, later stage, recapitalizations, workouts and management buyouts. Our experience includes representing these clients as lead investors, as well as in structuring and executing platform, add-on and other acquisition and sale transactions. We also represent a large number of funds, founders and management teams in connection with venture capital financings. In the past decade, we have represented family offices and other high-net-worth investors in more than 200 investments in private equity, venture capital and other investment funds.
Gould & Ratner is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, creed, medical condition including pregnancy, disability, genetic information, gender identity and expression, marriage or parental status, sexual orientation, or Veteran’s status.