About the jobCompany Description
Visa is a world leader in digital payments, facilitating more than 215 billion payments transactions between consumers, merchants, financial institutions and government entities across more than 200 countries and territories each year. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, convenient, reliable and secure payments network, enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
When you join Visa, you join a culture of purpose and belonging – where your growth is priority, your identity is embraced, and the work you do matters. We believe that economies that include everyone everywhere, uplift everyone everywhere. Your work will have a direct impact on billions of people around the world – helping unlock financial access to enable the future of money movement.
Join Visa: A Network Working for Everyone.
This position is for an attorney who will be a member of the team that advises the Visa Business Solutions and Visa’s Global Deals teams to support product and service sales and development initiatives. Visa Business Solutions (VBS) drives strategy, product development, platform management and sales for Visa’s Commercial/B2B solutions. Visa’s Global Deal team works in partnership with regional and local market teams to support all global deals (any deal that crosses a region), across issuer, merchant, acquiring, Fintech, digital platforms, processing, etc.
As a member of this team, you’ll provide thoughtful and pragmatic legal guidance to some of the fastest growing and most important teams at Visa. We are looking for an organized, self-motivated individual who can work collaboratively to support Visa’s goals in a complex, global environment.
Primary Responsibilities Include
- Structure, draft and negotiate complex commercial transactions, including brand, strategic alliance and product agreements with traditional payment system participants like issuers, merchants, acquirers, processors, and new payment system participants such as Fintechs, neobanks, digital platforms, cryptocurrency and blockchain.
- Highly visible role dealing with Visa’s external client base including financial institutions, processors, merchants, and Fintechs.
- Provide high-quality legal support to Visa’s account executives responsible for managing VBS or Global client relationships.
- Proactively engage and work in partnership with regional attorneys and in conjunction with SME’s including Client Incentives, Client Services, Rules, Product, Technology, Risk, etc. and SMEs from Cobrand, FI, Processor and digital teams. and
- Contribute to the design and enhancement of the contract templates and contracting processes.
This is a hybrid position. Hybrid employees can alternate time between both remote and office. Employees in hybrid roles are expected to work from the office two days a week, Tuesdays and Wednesdays with a general guidepost of being in the office 50% of the time based on business needs.
8 or more years of relevant work experience with a Bachelor Degree or at least 5 years of experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 2 years of work experience with a PhD
9 or more years of relevant work experience with a Bachelor Degree or 7 or more relevant years of experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 3 or more years of experience with a PhD
- A member in good standing in of, and eligible to practice law in, at least one jurisdiction in the United States
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to be impactful and influential with internal stakeholders and actively participate in client deal activities including negotiation support
- Self-motivated and energetic problem solver with an interest in negotiating commercial transactions who can work independently, effectively, and collegially on a small legal team and in a fast-paced environment
- Experience drafting and negotiating and/or litigating complex commercial transactions
- Developed business acumen, sense of urgency and the ability to understand Visa and the payment participants business interests and ability to anticipate risks and propose practical plans with stakeholders
- Background and/or knowledge of some of the following is preferred: the payment services industry and related credit and debit processing industries, the legal and regulatory landscape governing, in particular, credit and debit cards, intellectual property law, and/or antitrust and competition law
Visa has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees and visitors. As a condition of employment, all employees based in the U.S. are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
Work Hours: Varies upon the needs of the department.
Travel Requirements: This position requires travel 5-10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements: This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable local law, including the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.