What is BlockFi?
BlockFi’s mission is to provide liquidity, transparency and efficiency to digital financial markets by creating products that meet the needs of consumers and corporations across the globe. We build bridges between traditional finance and digital markets that enable growth for all participants.
We’re a team of builders and strivers, proud to champion financial inclusivity and offer economic opportunities around the globe. We provide the same inclusivity to our team members. BlockFi is a place where diversity is celebrated, individuality is recognized, and every single team member is valued. We are changing the status quo to be the first financial company that people love, and we rely on our people to make it happen!
BlockFi is looking for an Engineering Manager II to lead our Mobile Platform team!
About The Team:
The Mobile Platform team acts as the backbone & advocates for our mobile engineers who are distributed across product teams. The objective of the organization is to increase the efficiency of our engineers by standardizing frameworks, writing core components, building libraries used across teams, shepherding patterns, improving build times, deployment systems, cross site performance, and so much more. This team doesn't directly own any customer products, instead is an enabler of other teams that do. Mobile Platforms consists of our most senior engineers whose work is cross cutting across all teams and is often called upon for advice, mentorship, or general support.
As an Engineering Manager II, you are an experienced team leader who is accomplished in steering the day to day of an engineering team including planning, architecture, execution, testing, and delivery. You proactively resolve issues faced by your team but also know who/where to escalate issues when necessary. You are a capable hands-on engineer and experienced team leader. Keys to success include a willingness to take on accountability / ownership, a collaborative approach to problem solving, a focus on team building, and a bias for action.
- Capable manager who is self-reliant and inclined towards solving issues but still has solid judgment around when to escalate.
- Responsible for people management duties across engineering team members, including: team staffing, career development of individuals, retention and performance management.
- Responsible for fostering a team culture that values collaboration, accountability, innovation, and results.
- Responsible for ensuring team members follow established processes while fostering a culture that embraces continuous improvement.
Planning, Execution, And Delivery
- Proactively anticipates issues and works with their team to navigate around or mitigate potential hurdles.
- Collaborates with cross-functional partners to organize the team’s backlog and planned work.
- Responsible for organizing, leading, and delivering the team’s engineering work.
- Responsible for quality of deliverables and should champion BlockFi standards of work.
- Responsible for planning care/maintenance of services owned by the team.
- Accountable for system availability and monitoring system health; ensure alerts, metrics, and runbooks are in place; and debug issues in production.
- Subject matter expertise around owned services. Detailed knowledge of the what/how business capabilities are provided.
- Technical Breadth as well as Depth in Several Areas: 6+ years of industry experience working with, designing, and building mobile applications & distributed systems at scale.
- Team Leadership: 3+ years of leading a team of 6 or more engineers through daily work routines, performance management, and hiring/retaining talent.
- Technical Ownership: Experience owning software systems end-to-end, designing, estimating, implementing, testing, maintaining, debugging, and supporting high-quality software in production.
- Communication: Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Collaboration: Empathetic and does the legwork required for building consensus. Always seeks out feedback on technical designs, solutions, and code.
We benefit from the great work our employees do each day. That is why we are committed to providing a variety of awesome benefits to help them live their best lives.
- Competitive Compensation because we value your experience and expertise
- Unlimited vacation / sick days because everyone deserves time for R&R
- Flexible work environment because we are a geographically dispersed team and we believe in balance
- A close-knit team of enthusiastic, collegial and driven people to work alongside in a highly meritocratic environment because teamwork makes the dreamwork
BlockFi has experienced incredible growth since our launch in August 2017. Our client base has grown to more than 225,000 (and counting), and the company now boasts more than $15 billion in assets on our platform. We recently completed a Series D funding round placing the company's valuation at $3 billion, and our team now has more than 500 people worldwide. We have established ourselves as a crypto market leader, and as we expand our product suite and geographic footprint, we expect our addressable market to grow exponentially.
BlockFi's leadership team has decades of experience in the traditional financial services and banking world, and we take a conservative approach to regulation that will position us well for sustainable long-term growth and expansion.
Our team is comprised of highly motivated professionals from diverse backgrounds. We are aiming to become the leading lender in crypto and are poised to redefine the global financial ecosystem for the better. In addition:
- BlockFi is one of the first companies to ever offer crypto-backed loans and the only company whose founding team has an institutional understanding of the debt capital markets and regulatory landscape in the U.S.
- $100 MM of Series A, B, and C funding led by Valar Ventures with participation from Susquehanna, Winklevoss Capital, Fidelity, Galaxy Digital, Akuna Capital, and Morgan Creek
- $350 MM of Series D funding led by Bain Capital Ventures, partners of DST Global, Pomp Investments and Tiger Global
- We are moving quickly and have already deployed substantial capital into the space, proving our ability to execute and capture customer demand