We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 89 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Coinbase is leading the expansion of digital currency into the financial mainstream. We are building a world-class legal team to support Coinbase and its affiliates as we continue to grow the company in the U.S. and internationally. You will be working in a cutting edge and fast paced environment, where disruptive technologies and unconventional thinking are the norm. Given the nascent state of the law, novel legal guidance is needed!
We are looking for an experienced and action-oriented lawyer and leader who can help Coinbase guide and drive the growth of our business in Brazil, ensure ongoing compliance of our Brazilian operations and build successful relationships with regulators in the country.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Develop and lead the Legal team’s engagement strategy with LatAm regulators and government stakeholders, in particular Brazil
- Develop and lead legal strategy and support for critical LatAm market growth initiatives
- Provide practical, in-depth thought leadership on legal issues and risks in a risk-tolerant, but compliance-oriented environment, including the impact on the company's long-term strategy to business and legal audiences
- Analyze and advise on complex, new regulatory guidance in financial, crypto, and tech sectors
- Serve as the primary Legal team advisor to local management
- Serve as point of coordination for regulatory strategy with Compliance and Policy teams
- Support Policy team engagement with strategic engagement to appointed regulatory leadership, legislators, and similar government leaders in LatAm
- Collaborate closely with leadership across Legal team, in particular Product Legal, Commercial Legal, and Corporate Legal
- Serve as part of a multi-jurisdiction international legal team
- Collaborate with Product Legal team to support Product team for new jurisdiction-specific product initiatives
- Collaborate with Corporate Legal team to support Corporate Development team for M&A transactions in LatAm
- Collaborate closely with Compliance teams, and other infrastructure functions (including Tax, Finance, Operations CX, and Security)
- Manage external counsel relationships and day-to-day engagements
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Qualified lawyer in Brazil
- Substantial experience developing and successfully providing legal support for Brazil growth, including assessing regulatory and legal requirements and developing a plan for successful execution
- Substantial experience translating complex, new regulatory guidance into actionable business guidance for market expansion strategies and ongoing compliance plans
- Experience in regulated financial services, payments, crypto, and/or tech sectors and applicable regulatory regimes
- Experience with interacting with LatAm regulators, in particular Brazil
- Experience supporting local entities within a global company
- Experience working on a multi-jurisdictional legal team
- Willingness to challenge the status quo and preconceived notions of what is possible as well as working in areas where regulation is still evolving
- Excellent judgment, analytical rigor, clear communication, and business pragmatism
Please note that for employees based in the US, Philippines, Canada or Singapore, if your role requires you to be present in a Coinbase office or if you choose to be physically present in a Coinbase office or sponsored location, you will be required to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 (as defined by applicable law). If you receive an offer, you will receive additional information about the grounds and process for an exemption.
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.