About the job
Associate General Counsel, Product and Regulatory
BitGo is the leader in custody and security solutions and is the largest independent digital asset custodian in the world. Founded in 2013, BitGo is the first digital asset company to focus exclusively on serving institutional clients. BitGo also offers market leading trading, lending, and borrowing services and supports over 400 digital assets on its platform. BitGo provides the security and operational backbone for more than 500 institutional clients in 50 countries, including many of the world’s top cryptocurrency exchanges and platforms.
Our small and growing team seeks financial services lawyers who are inquisitive, creative and practical and ready to effect change within our dynamic company and within the blockchain / digital assets industry at large.
One attorney we look to hire will own responsibilities that may include:
- Providing legal and regulatory expertise in areas including digital assets, securities, AML/BSA, money transmission, payment, intellectual property licensing, custody, escrow arrangements and secured transactions.
- Working closely with cross functional teams led by product development and engineering to facilitate the building and delivery of new products.
- Proactive identification of legal and regulatory risks relating to new and existing products, and then working within the organization to mitigate and eliminate these risks in a thoughtful manner.
- Provide real-time support to product development, trust services, prime services, marketing, compliance, legal staff, operations and others.
- Defining licensing and registration requirements, including with respect to cross border marketing.
- Reviewing product requirement documents, marketing materials and disclaimers.
- Undertaking digital asset diligence and classification analysis, including through application of securities law to crypto.
- Supporting issues that turn on non-US regulations and practice.
- Active involvement in industry groups.
- Escalating issues to the General Counsel as appropriate.
- Pitching in whenever and wherever needed by our small but growing legal team, even if not directly related to responsibilities described above.
Your experience and skill set will cover many of the following:
- 7+ years of related law firm and/or in-house legal experience at a financial services, technology or blockchain company, ideally involving product development.
- Creative problem solving particularly in relation to product development and maintenance.
- Familiarity with some of (i) money transmission licensing; (ii) payment regulations; (iii) privacy regulations including GDPR and CCPA; and (iv) AML related laws and regulations.
- Experience with non-US regulators and regulations.
- Working with and training junior lawyers.
- Technology and intellectual property.
- Ability to balance multiple tasks in accordance with changing deadlines and priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Interest in blockchain and digital assets.
- You will be collegial and (at least usually) able to retain a sense of humor.
Why Join BitGo?
Disrupting an industry takes vision, innovation, passion, technical chops, drive to deliver, collaboration, and execution. Join a team of great people who strive for excellence and personify our corporate values of ownership, craftsmanship, and open communication. We are looking for new colleagues who bring innovative ways of thinking and problem solving, and who want risks to be part of the team that changes the world’s financial markets.
Here are some of the benefits of working at BitGo:
- Competitive base salary, bonus and stock options
- 100% company paid health insurance for employee, spouse/partner and children (medical, vision, dental, life, FSA, HSA)
- 401k company match up to 5%
- Computer equipment and workplace furniture to suit your needs
- Generous paid time off
- Great colleagues and inspiring startup environment
Cryptocurrencies are the most disruptive change the financial services industry has seen in years. Join us and you’ll be able to look back and say you were part of the team that transformed investing.