About the jobCompany Description
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
Block is seeking an extraordinary communications professional to join the Corporate Communications function, managing global communications for two of our newest areas of the business - bitcoin mining and wallet. You will work closely with executives and teams across the bitcoin mining and wallet teams at Block. The role requires a thoughtful and strategic approach, the ability to work cross-functionally and in partnership with other teams, and to synthesize and communicate complex subject matter with ease. Embedded within this nascent and new part of the business you’ll become an essential member of the team, responsible for how we communicate these products to the world.
- Lead the global communications for two of our newest teams at Block - bitcoin mining and wallet.
- Develop a multi-year, global communications strategy for the two products - from design to launch and beyond.
- Develop a consistent tone of voice for the products, develop written materials, including messaging and statements, press releases, communications plans, FAQs, and other collateral.
- Think creatively and unconventionally about how we approach communications, being open to sharing information with audiences in new and untested ways.
- Develop media messaging and media train executives. You’ll become their go-to trusted advisor for all things communications-related.
- Maintain an executive speaking calendar and manage speaking engagements for the relevant executive team members.
- Lead US media relations, and partner with the international communications team to generate media coverage outside of the US.
- Partner with public policy teams to ensure that messaging is appropriate for the evolving policy landscape in which these two business areas operate.
- 6+ years relevant work experience, ideally within an in-house communications team.
- Previous communications experience with launching software or hardware products, and/or within a financial technology company.
- Extensive understanding of the crypto currency space, ideally within a professional context (although we will consider candidates with a personal interest hoping to make the move into this space).
- Ability to synthesize complex concepts to create essential messages that are consistent but tailored to multiple partners.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Skills in shaping and executing simultaneous projects. You can multitask and work effectively in a fast-paced and collaborative environment.
- Long-term and strategic approach, able to consider the downstream impact of communications decisions.
- Experience working with markets outside of the US.
- Experience working with public policy and/or government relations teams on complex multi-dimensional policy
- Enthusiasm, an exceptional work ethic, a self-starter attitude, and a belief in the mission of Block.
- Curiosity, creative thinking, and a sense of humor.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $167,300 - USD $204,500
Zone B: USD $155,600 - USD $190,200
Zone C: USD $147,200 - USD $180,000
Zone D: USD $138,900 - USD $169,700
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits Include The Following
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.