About the job
Gould & Ratner LLP is seeking a Mid to Senior Level Emerging Companies & Venture Capital Associate to join its Corporate Practice. The ideal candidate will have at least 3+ years of practice experience working with early stage and growth stage companies, founders and venture capital firms and the ability to act as lead attorney on a range of VC/EC transactions.
In addition, the ideal candidate will have:
- 5+ years experience with M&A transactions in the technology and venture capital spaces.
- Familiarity with convertible debt, preferred equity issuances, and related financing tools.
- Fund formation experience, including experience structuring funds, management entities, and carried interest holding structures.
- Familiarity with regulatory matters facing funds and issuers, including the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, The Securities Act of 1933, Reg D safe-harbors, and state blue sky law compliance.
- Familiarity and experience with the forms published by the National Venture Capital Association.
- Understanding of the issues facing clients whose primary asset is intellectual property, including IP ownership, IP development, licensing agreements, tax matters, employee matters, and similar concepts.
- Experience with the ESG, clean-technology, blockchain, Web 3, and cryptocurrency spaces is a plus.
Candidates can look forward to a practice that will include handling all aspects of complex transactions for clients of all sizes and across industries. This attorney will gain direct client interaction, business development experience, and significant responsibility on complex and sophisticated legal matters. This is an excellent opportunity for an attorney who is highly motivated and seeking a positive career trajectory.
Please note that this role allows a flexible work schedule with a hybrid remote and in-office presence. This role may also be completely remote.
- Experience drafting transaction agreements and documents with efficiency and clarity, negotiating deal terms, managing transaction closings and processes, and providing thorough factual and legal research and analysis.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills. Attention to detail, self-directed, and an ability to work efficiently on a several different matters at a time.
- Strong analytical, interpersonal and communication skills. The ideal candidate has the ability to work as part of a team while also having the confidence and demeanor to assume individual responsibility for matters involving direct client interaction. This attorney will serve as business advisor to clients, guiding them in a full range of legal matters throughout their life cycle.
- Candidates must be currently licensed in Illinois or licensed in another state with a UBE score that qualifies in Illinois for comity, be eligible to waive in, or be willing to sit for an upcoming IL bar exam (open to relocation candidates that meet these requirements).
- Commitment to mentorship, training, and professional development with an achievable path to partnership. When you join Gould & Ratner, you are not just getting a job – you are building a career. You will work together with G&R colleagues and partner with clients to hone your skills as a business lawyer.
- Opportunity to step into meaningful client relationships and be a key component of the Firm’s succession planning efforts
- Ample opportunity for business development
- Low turnover, collegial, and collaborative environment
- A dynamic culture that prizes thinking outside the box
- Health care, life and disability insurance
- Competitive compensation, benefits package, and a generous 401k plan
- Employee discounts and wellness programs
- Hybrid in-office/remote role based
About Gould & Ratner
Gould & Ratner is an 80-year old Chicago law firm with a team of over 50 attorneys. Our team consists of a deep bench of sophisticated and experienced attorneys that provide exceptional legal service while affording our clients the benefits of working with an agile and entrepreneurial-minded team of results-oriented, well-rounded professionals.
Gould & Ratner is focused on building the next generation of leaders in law. Attorneys who come to Gould & Ratner stay at Gould & Ratner – providing continuity of service from generation to generation. Our associates have the opportunity to work in a professional, challenging and collegial midsized firm environment. Because of the diverse nature of our clients, our attorneys gain exposure to sophisticated transactions, complex litigation and intricate estate/wealth management planning, among other areas. Like the individuals and businesses we represent, our lawyers are skilled in a number of technical disciplines, have an entrepreneurial focus, adapt quickly to changing market conditions and provide excellent client service and value.
About Our Corporate Practice
Gould & Ratner’s Corporate Practice provides clients with sophisticated legal and business advice in areas ranging from business formation through business succession or the sale of a company.
We counsel institutions and executive teams, funds, prominent family business owners, entrepreneurs and other wealthy individuals on a variety of sophisticated and complex domestic and foreign transactions and business law issues including:
- Legal entity formation, reorganization and governance
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Joint ventures and strategic alliances
- Private equity, venture capital, and debt/financing
- Operating agreements
- Licensing agreements
- Executive, employment, and compensation arrangements
In the past decade, we have handled more than $8 billion in transactions. On average each year, we close 25 merger and acquisition transactions (up to $1 billion in value), 20 venture capital and 20 bank financings.
The Corporate Practice’s clients span a variety of industries, including: technology and media, high-tech manufacturing, transportation, automotive sales and distribution, consulting and professional services, software design and development, digital marketing and strategy, consumer packaged goods, banking and financial services, sports and entertainment, health life sciences, ESG, environmental and social consciousness, clean energy technology, cryptocurrency and blockchain.
Representing funds, investors in funds, family offices and other dynamic businesses, our team has extensive experience in negotiating and documenting their investment in private companies, including early stage, growth stage, later stage, recapitalizations, workouts and management buyouts. Our experience includes representing these clients as lead investors, as well as in structuring and executing platform, add-on and other acquisition and sale transactions. We also represent a large number of funds, founders and management teams in connection with venture capital financings. In the past decade, we have represented family offices and other high-net-worth investors in more than 200 investments in private equity, venture capital and other investment funds.
Gould & Ratner is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, creed, medical condition including pregnancy, disability, genetic information, gender identity and expression, marriage or parental status, sexual orientation, or Veteran’s status.