About the jobCompany Description
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
Block is looking for a corporate and securities counsel who will support aspects of our public company reporting obligations, with an emphasis on our capital markets offerings and transactions. As we expand our business, your ideas and contributions will make an immediate impact. We are looking for someone with a creative legal mind, attention to detail, curiosity, and a desire to tackle new and exciting challenges. You will report into the Corporate Governance and Securities Counsel Lead.
- Work collaboratively to prioritize goals and manage the legal aspects of being a public company
- Work on SEC filings and correspondence
- Draft and negotiate agreements in connection with capital markets transactions and work with Treasury and Finance teams in managing debt and equity offerings and securitization transactions
- Work with Block’s Finance, Accounting, and Stock Administration teams on various corporate initiatives
- Help administer Block’s Insider Trading Policy and 10b5-1 plans
- Help with 1940 Act matters
- Ensure compliance with our credit facility, lines of credit and warehouse financing facilities
- Manage and build out a team
- Help with special corporate projects
- 7+ years of relevant securities experience, including experience working with large public technology companies
- A combination of both in-house and major law firm practice experience is preferred
- In-depth substantive expertise of the securities laws and the 1933 and 1934 Acts
- Experience managing debt and equity capital markets offerings
- High ethical standards and ability to maintain the confidentiality of non-public corporate information
- Membership in at least one state bar (preferably California or New York)
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone B: USD $227,900 - USD $278,500
Zone C: USD $215,600 - USD $263,600
Zone D: USD $208,400 - USD $254,700
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits Include The Following
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.