About the jobData Science is at the core of TRM's mission to build a safer financial system for billions of people. To achieve such goal, the Blockchain Intelligence team relies on a diverse set of structured and unstructured data to design, build, and support heterogeneous models to detect and prevent fraud and financial crime in cryptocurrencies and digital assets. As our platform grows, the Blockchain Intelligence team will be building a scalable foundation to propel our impact and product forward.
As a Data Science Leader at TRM Labs, you will collaborate with an experienced team of engineers, data scientists, and research scientists to build scalable systems to detect, prevent, and mitigate cryptocurrency fraud and financial crime. You will be deeply involved in the technical details of building highly available and real-time risk detection services to understand the ever evolving attack vectors in crypto and to build a safer financial system for the world.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Build long-term vision and strategy for detecting high-risk and illicit activities like money laundering, terrorist financing, and ransomware.
- Develop custom models, algorithms, and interactive visualizations
- Collaborate with former FBI, Secret Service, and Europol agents and analysts to detect new threat vectors unique to cryptocurrencies and blockchains
- Communicate with and advocate to a wide audience of engineers, managers, and executives to inform decisions on how TRM's capabilities evolve.
- Coach junior members, share knowledge, and support the continuous development of our tooling within the broader team.
- Develop your skills through exceptional training as well as frequent coaching and mentoring from colleagues
- Your academic background is in a quantitative field such as Computer Science, Statistics, Engineering, Economics or Physics. Advanced degree preferred.
- You have 4+ years of experience working within an analytical role.
- You have proven experience with at least one programming language (Python preferred) and are comfortable developing code in a team environment (e.g. git, notebooks, testing).
- You have working knowledge of relational databases, (e.g. SQL)
- You're capable of driving projects of varying sizes and scopes — some will take weeks and some months — and you will need to know when to dive deep.
- You have a high tolerance for ambiguity. You find a way through. You anticipate. You connect and synthesize.
- You are delivery-oriented, able to lead and execute modeling efforts from start to finish
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills and experience in influencing decisions with information.
- You have engineered information out of massive and complex datasets (e.g. Hive, Spark, Druid, Elasticsearch/Solr).
- You know about cryptocurrencies and blockchain theory
TRM Labs is a blockchain intelligence company that helps financial institutions, crypto businesses and government agencies detect and investigate crypto-related financial crime and fraud. Our products are trusted by leading companies including PayPal, Visa, FTX, Uniswap, Anchorage, and federal agencies such as the FBI and Dept. of Treasury. Every day, we tackle challenges in data engineering, data science, and threat intelligence to advance our mission to build a safer financial system for billions of people.
To accomplish our mission, we have raised nearly $80M from JPMorgan Chase, Visa, Citi, PayPal, Block, Tiger Global and Bessemer. Our team is made up of world class experts from the FBI, U.S. Secret Service, US Treasury Department, McKinsey, Coinbase, and top-tier tech companies.
TRM is a remote-first workplace, with hubs in San Francisco, Washington, DC and London. We are looking for people with grit, passion, and humility to join our global team.
- Impact Oriented Trailblazer - We define high-impact targets through customer centricity, prioritization, and adaptability.
- Master Craftsperson - We execute efficiently to achieve goals through good judgment, velocity, and grit.
- Inspiring Colleague - We elevate team performance through integrity, apprenticeship, and positive energy.
- Remote-first work environment, with optional in-person offices
- Regular team off-sites and retreats
- Competitive salaries and stock options
- Premium health, dental, and vision insurance
- FSA, HSA, and 401K programs
- Life & disability coverage
- Paid time for vacations, volunteering, sick leave, and generous parental leave
- Fitness, co-working, and home office reimbursements
- Professional learning and development stipends