About Protocol Labs
Protocol Labs drives breakthroughs in computing to push humanity forward. Protocol Labs is a product-development lab, but behind the protocols and tools we build, behind the research and implementations, are passionate people, teammates, and community members. Most teams in the Protocol Labs Network are fully distributed and work remotely around the world. Engineers, researchers, and operators work in the open to improve the internet — humanity's most important technology — as we explore new advances at the intersection of many exciting fields (crypto, networks, distributed systems) and cultures (startups, research, open-source, distributed work).
Stewards IPLD sets direction/standards for projects, protocols, and architecture. Cultivate a vibrant contributing community around IPLD
As Engineering Manager at Protocol Labs, you will...
- Magnify the impact of multiple teams of software engineers and open source contributors in their implementation of complex, distributed systems and protocols.
- Grow engineers’ skills, experience and confidence through regular 1:1s, coaching, actionable feedback, work and peer alignment, and career advocacy.
- Lead, improve, and document processes for technical prioritization, planning, design, implementation and releases in harmony with and expanding open source community participation.
- Communicate regularly with stakeholders and adjacent teams to build a shared understanding and accommodation of competing priorities.
- Empower engineers to solve problems, fostering a balance of velocity and rigor through scalable, asynchronous decision-making practices.
- Maintain and strengthen a team and community culture of growth, openness, trust, rigor, humility, mutual support, and psychological safety.
- Advocate for and enhance PL’s asynchronous, autonomous, and distributed working culture.
- Lead the process of recruiting great engineers for your project, in collaboration with PL’s recruiting team.
- Support and guide other people-managers at Protocol Labs as a member of PL’s young engineering management discipline.
You may be a fit for this role if you have...
- Demonstrable success as an engineering lead/manager fostering highly-functional, healthy, inclusive and collaborative teams.
- Technical credibility through lengthy software engineering experience with back-end and distributed systems and infrastructure.
- A strong desire for and history of contributions to open source projects and communities.
- Experience working with and/or managing geographically distributed teams.
- Actively coached, mentored and grown team members in their careers.
- Ability to thrive with a high level of self-direction, autonomy and responsibility.
- A track record of recruiting and retaining great people to your teams.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- An excitement for collaborating with people across Protocol Labs towards our shared mission.
- You have experience with or deep knowledge of cryptography, globally distributed systems, blockchain or other related domains.
- Demonstrable open source community curation and leadership experience.
If you’re passionate about the future of computing and a more democratized internet, we want to talk to you.
GDPR for Job Applicants and Candidates
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Protocol Labs, Inc. (“Protocol Labs”), which is located at 427 N Tatnall St #51207, Wilmington, Delaware 19801 and can be contacted by emailing legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Protocol Labs’ data protection team can be contacted via legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Protocol Labs’ recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Protocol Labs, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Protocol Labs to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Protocol Labs’ behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards.
Your personal data will be retained by Protocol Labs as long as Protocol Labs determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment or to assist in the hiring process. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have the right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.