About the jobCompany Description
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Our hardware team builds the tangible connection to all that is Square. As we introduce more and more of our products to the world, our hardware footprint expands. In this role, you will be responsible for developing the embedded software in Square’s hardware products.
- Build a common firmware platform for all of Square's hardware products
- Write code within the constraints of tiny embedded systems
- Move up the stack to write and collaborate on system-side code; including protocol design
- Develop tests to validate product features, drivers, and system functionality
- Build reliable tools to support firmware development and product debugging
- Partner with manufacturing, electrical engineering, and release teams
- 8+ years of relevant industry experience
- A software development discipline, including modularization, documentation, and test methods
- Firmware / Embedded software development experience
- Expertise in C software development, tools, and debugging
- Understanding of common communications protocols (e.g. SPI, UART, I2C, USB), debugging practices (e.g. JTAG and associated GDB integrations), and electrical design principles
- Experience with real-time operating systems
- Experience shipping consumer electronics products
- Experience debugging issues cross functionally, using a combination of software and lab equipment such as oscilloscopes and protocol analyzers
- BS in CS, CE, EE, or equivalent practical experience
- Even better if you have experience in any of the following:
- Experience with wireless protocols (e.g. BLE, NFC)
- Experience using Python (or similar scripting languages) in automated testing, build systems, or device firmware communication
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources