Usher is developing the Partnerships protocol for Web3. Commerce thrives on recommendations and word of mouth. The eCommerce, Travel, Finance and SaaS industries have already proven that incentivised word of mouth works. Commission Junction, Impact.com and other partnership platforms have delivered on this value proposition for Web2. We’re on a mission to bring this very same value proposition to businesses developing on decentralised networks, such as NFT brands and marketplaces, DeFi protocols, dApps, Blockchains and all other Web3 brands.
We’re an early-stage startup backed by the likes of Arweave & Awin, building decentralised technology that enables Referral, Affiliate and Reseller programs for Web3 businesses.
The founder has engineering experience at startups, some that are now publicly listed, and has project and talent management experience from operating a software studio.
Our customers can be any business across the world capable of funding their partner programs with cryptocurrencies.
About the role
We are looking for early engineers to join us and build the platform alongside the founding team.
This person will be an extension of the founder, capable of bringing ideas, fast-paced energy and a company-building vision to the table.
Founding engineers should consider themselves as owners of the platform, putting aside the distractions of the world to be a part of a team that is building toward the future.
As the earliest team member(s), there is a high degree of responsibility involved with the role.
We expect early team members to be open-minded about their capability to cross geographies and work alongside their team.
An ideal candidate can cross the entire software stack, has deep enthusiasm and knowledge about the Web3 ecosystem, and has an execution-driven mindset.
You will have the opportunity to
- Innovate, the Web3 ecosystem is moving so quickly — the brands we will be working with may lead the industry for years to come
- Actively drive and manage the technology development process, working with the founder to build processes for the engineering team
- Join the company-building journey, working with the founder to source and expand the team
- Combine technical creativity and business acumen, you will illustrate the value that Usher’s platform and Partner Programs can provide
We would love you to have
- 1+ years as a Backend/Fullstack developer, DevOps/Infrastructure engineer and/or Solutions & Cloud Architect
- 1+ years experience working within an engineering team, capable of being very responsive for meetings/stand-ups and all other team communications
- Experience in crypto, NFTs and/or decentralised networks and a passion to stay on top of that incredible rate of change
- Comfortable talking about technical concepts and explaining how they work, both from a product feature and architecture perspective
- Experience managing developers and triaging tasks between team members
- Strong verbal and written communication abilities in English
- Self-motivation, high ownership, low ego; a desire to work on a fast-paced, intense, and fun team in person.
Specific skills that are awesome
- Typescript & Node.js Experience
- Golang, Rust, Kotlin, or other Backend Developer Languages.
- Software Architecture - Microservice Networking
- Big Data Management and Engineering
- DevOps and Infra experience with Ubuntu, AWS, Docker
- Smart Contract Development in Solidity and/or Rust
- Development of Decentralised Networks
Why you should join us
- Have an impact from day 1. You will be working very closely with the founder daily.
- Solve problems your own way. As a software engineer, you get the autonomy to be creative and explore solutions to problems your own way. The founder is a message away for collaboration.
- Own the product - drive the product vision, participate in building the early team and work closely with the users.
About the interview
Introduction (30 minutes): This stage is a more informal call for you to learn more about the role, and for you to evaluate whether it’s a good fit for you.
We're looking for people with a strong interest in joining an early-stage startup and working on complex technical challenges in a new industry (Crypto/Web3). In this chat, you’re welcome to ask lots of questions about whether working at Usher makes sense for you.
This conversation will also cover some light technical discussion about your past projects. Mostly, we want to know that you can code and ship fairly involved systems, and speak to them with clarity on the details. This tends to be a good indication that a software developer had strong ownership and showed autonomy in making the product or technical decisions.
Technical Assessment (5 hours take-home exercise or 1-2 hour screen): The next step of the interview process is a fun take-home exercise. Completing this exercise helps accelerate our decision and allows us to focus later interviews on discussing your solution and a couple “systems design” questions. We make ourselves available to answer any questions for this challenge to make it feel collaborative and ensure you get something out of it.
If you do not have the bandwidth to complete the take-home exercise, we're open to scheduling at least one, one-hour technical screen instead where we will cover a systems design questions and a white-boarding/coding exercise.
Interview (1 hour): The interview is a deeper dive into technical abilities and overall fit.
For the "technical" portion, we will cover
- Systems design questions: we will look for familiarity and your ability to identify trade-offs with building systems, specifically those that collect, store, and present data.
- White-boarding/coding exercises: we're interested in seeing how you approach problems, specifically how you write, test, and debug solutions, and identify tradeoffs.
For the “fit” portion, we look for examples of ownership and autonomy, but also dig deeper into communication (i.e. how you communicate your approach, solutions, and overall thinking).
The interview is 1 hour long, with 50 minutes allocated for the technical portion, and 10 minutes for Q&A.
Follow-Up Interview(s) (up to 4 hours): The follow-up interview(s) are more informal versions of the core interview.
Within these follow-up interviews, additional technical questions and exercises will be conducted at random introducing concepts and technical challenges associated with the platform.
Candid discussions may also be held to determine your requirements for working on Usher at your best.
Ideally, these follow-ups should establish a basis for collaboration between you and the founder.
Each follow-up interview will be up to an hour long.
Decisions may occur anytime between the interview and during the follow-up interviews.