Join our small, fiery team on our mission to usher in the Bitcoin golden age.
Shakepay is one of the fastest growing startups in Canada. We've grown 10x in the last year. 2% of Canadians are on Shakepay. We're building something really special. We need true believers to join our team. We're looking for ambitious professionals with a thirst for knowledge that are interested in working with the most exciting financial innovation ever created: Bitcoin.
Bitcoin is important because it enables wealth to be stored with a person without need for a third party. Its fundamental use-case as a store of value with a predictable monetary policy is having profound implications on freeing people into financial sovereignty.
Head of Engineering
We are entering a new age for financial services. Legacy banking products are built on old, decaying technology while new experiences are being constructed from the ground up.
You will recreate how people are meant to build wealth. Bitcoin is enabling a world that could not previously be designed, and you will be the builders’ builder, leading a team of passionate developers, QA engineers, data engineers to deliver the best experience to our customers.
You will :
- Lead a foundational, highly performant team of engineers and managers working on complex, full-stack projects with wide impact across the company
- Ensure engineers and managers are productive, happy, learning, and doing meaningful work
- Coordinate and direct company-wide initiatives, making detailed plans to accomplish technical and product goals
- Interview and hire the best and brightest software engineers
- Own processes and culture in the engineering team
- Analyze technology, resource needs, and market demand, to plan and assess the feasibility of projects
- Work with multiple teams across the company including product, design, legal, support
- Mentor engineers and help cultivate their career aspirations
- Instill a remote first culture and set clear expectations around communication and collaboration
- 3+ years working experience as a software developer
- 7+ years working experience as an engineering manager or higher
- Experience with managing multiple teams spanning software development, QA, data, product or others
Nice to have:
- Experience with Node.js, React-Native, Vue, Postgres, Docker, Kubernetes, Kafka, Datadog
- Experience with building financial apps
- Some bitcoin knowledge
What you get:
- Potentially life-changing stock options. We believe everyone at Shakepay should have the financial upside for building a generational company
- Remote-friendly work environment: work from anywhere in Canada. If you're in Montreal, you can work from the office
- Generous vacation time: we think time off is essential, and highly encourage it
- Personal development: we're here to help you define and hit your personal career goals so that you can get where you want to be
- Continued learning: every Shaker gets a yearly budget to spend on learning
- Employer-covered group insurance: health, dental, paramedical, disability and travel coverage to ensure you're at your best
- Get paid in Bitcoin: choose to take a percentage of your salary in the hardest, soundest money the world has ever known
- A collaborative and friendly team: we succeed together and we have fun doing it
- MacBook: company-issued laptop to make sure you're doing your best work
- Equipment stipend: every Shaker receives a stipend to use toward setting up their home office
Shakepay helps Canadians buy and sell bitcoin and pay their friends. We offer web and mobile apps that make it easy for Canadians to buy bitcoin in minutes with Interac e-Transfer. Shakepay is the fastest-growing bitcoin platform in Canada.
At Shakepay we're committed to promoting and celebrating diversity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from everyone, regardless of background and life experience. If you want to be a part of something momentous then we're excited to hear from you.
Please note that while all of our roles are remote, we are a Canadian company and will not be sponsoring visas for this position. You must be eligible to work in Canada to be selected.