About the jobCompany Description
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
The Decision Science organization at Square helps our sellers and our business grow by empowering decision making with data. The team provides Square with a variety of critical information such as marketing attribution, investment ROI, seller value, product behavior, and funnel performance. The team achieves this by building remarkable data infrastructure, analytics, data science, and machine learning solutions. The Measurement Machine Learning team within Decision Science plays an essential role in building best-in-class ML models and algorithms to inform strategic investment decisions with measurement.
We are looking for an experienced Machine Learning (ML) leader (just like you!) to lead Measurement ML and help shape our data & AI strategy and vision, enable us to continue to be innovators and leaders in the AL/ML problem space, and further grow and scale the talented team. The data products developed by this team are used by Finance, Marketing, Risk, and more to make business critical decisions that directly impact Square's future.
- Be the expert in seller value measurement and marketing attribution.
- Take technical ownership of ML models that make up the core of data products.
- Partner with executive and senior management from Finance, Marketing, Risk, as well as Product and your peers in Data Science & Analytics to develop, implement, and deliver data products in the measurement space.
- Provide mentorship to team members through feedback, coaching, and hands-on technical guidance on ML system design and modeling best practices.
- Hire and develop highly talented ML engineers and tech leads.
- Develop efficient processes, ensuring the team is operating with high velocity, ownership, and self-accountability.
- 6+ years of data science and ML experience with technical depth
- 2+ years of experience in people management with a track record of building high-performance teams and growing talent
- Experience launching end-to-end production ML models
- Experience working with senior stakeholders in areas such as Finance, Marketing, Risk
- Great stakeholder management, team management and cross-functional collaboration skills while working with technical and non-technical audiences
- An advanced degree (M.S. or Ph.D.) in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Math, Statistics, or a related technical field
- Experience developing complex and long-term customer value models (e.g., LTV)
- Experience developing in-house, ML-based multi-touch attribution (MTA) models and marketing mix models (MMM)
- Solid understanding of the Marketing and Martech landscape and the evolution of this space
- Experience working in fintech or the B2B space
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $222,800 - USD $272,300
Zone B: USD $211,600 - USD $258,600
Zone C: USD $200,500 - USD $245,100
Zone D: USD $189,400 - USD $231,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits Include The Following
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.