We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 89 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Coinbase is looking for a highly motivated accounting professional to join our Brokerage and Platform Operations Accounting team and play a key role in our continued growth and achievement of operational perfection. The Platform Accountant, Derivatives must possess strong accounting and operational expertise, an ability to communicate and work with various teams outside of Finance (such as Data, Trading Operations and other Engineering groups), and a desire to make a significant impact on a dynamic, high-growth technology company.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Platform Accounting and FCM CFO, the Platform Accountant, Derivatives will be responsible for the FCM daily, semi-monthly, monthly, and annual regulatory filings, and month-end closing process at Coinbase. This position will work with various cross functional teams within the Company and requires someone with impeccable attention to detail, a financial and analytic mindset and knowledge of accounting for derivatives and financial instruments. This position will impact a rapidly growing organization and offer career development opportunities for the right candidate.
What You'll Be Doing (i.e., Job Duties)
- Prepare daily reconciliations and investigate all reconciling items and take the necessary actions to ensure they are cleared timely.
- Prepare key regulatory filings (Daily regulatory reporting, 1-FR-FCM, SIDR, and more).
- Responsible for journal entries, reconciliations and fluxes for month-end close related to FCM entity.
- Monitor cash activities, including transferring funds to maintain adequate liquidity in necessary accounts.
- Work closely and act as the primary point of contact with cross-functional partners, maintaining relationship and overseeing operations and treasury functions.
- Escalate any unusual activity or aged items to management, which enables a proactive response to potential risks and related losses.
- Assist with internal, external and regulatory audits.
- Maintain up-to-date process documentation and procedures as assigned.
- Recommend and implement process improvement and best practices initiatives.
- Work on projects cross-functionally with management, compliance, operations, and treasury teams as needed.
- Ensure the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational risk and regulatory compliance risk.
- Ensure compliance with internal controls, policies and procedures over platform accounting activities and assist in the design and implementation of new controls and processes.
- Assist in the development and implementation of scalable accounting processes to facilitate timely and accurate financial reporting.
- Assist ad hoc requests and other special projects as assigned.
What We Look For In You (ie. Job Requirements)
- Detail oriented with strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Team player with a strong work ethic, exceptional accuracy, good analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work and effectively communicate with other departments.
- Highly motivated, ability to effectively handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously in a deadline driven environment.
- Proficiency in Google sheet, Google doc, Google slides and other Google products.
- Working knowledge of the functions performed within an FCM (familiar with 17 CFR 1.10, 1.12, 1.17, 1.18, 1.20, 1.23, 1.24, and 1.32 rules).
- Knowledge of Winjammer system.
- BA/BS in Accounting or Finance.
- 2+ years of experience in regulatory reporting, FCM business.
- Series 3 (must obtain within 90 days of hire).
- CPA (Preferred).
- Be able to work in Eastern time zone (due to the regulatory filing requirement).
Nice to haves:
- Knowledge in ION/XTP system.
- Knowledge of SQL, Python or other programming languages.
- Experience working in Netsuite, FloQast and G-Suite.
Notice for Colorado applicants as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20). Target annual salary for this role performed in Colorado, is $105,400 + target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k)).
Please note that for employees based in the US, Philippines, Canada or Singapore, if your role requires you to be present in a Coinbase office or if you choose to be physically present in a Coinbase office or sponsored location, you will be required to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 (as defined by applicable law). If you receive an offer, you will receive additional information about the grounds and process for an exemption.
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.