At 3Box Labs we are on a mission to usher in a new era for the web, where data is secure, interactions are trustworthy, and relationships are the basis of connection. We're enabling online experiences that are delightful and integrated while also bolstering privacy and freeing innovation. Our first product, Ceramic, is the building block for composable data on the web and is powering thousands of the world's most ambitious applications.
We're backed by an incredible community and the best investors in the space (USV, Placeholder, Variant, Multicoin) who have deep conviction in our mission. We are a lean, voraciously curious team from across the globe, with 5 years of expert remote work experience and frequent (and awesome) team retreats to spend time together. We have founded tech startups, written books, won product awards, authored patents, created Ethereum standards, and advised F100 CEOs.
Come help us tackle novel challenges and reinvent how data is managed online. Every one of our roles is remote first (retreat often!). We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team because we cannot succeed in our mission without it. People that identify with groups traditionally underrepresented in tech are particularly encouraged to apply.
As a Protocol Engineer, you will join the Ceramic Core Protocol Team in working on and learning from problems related to distributed consensus, sharding, peer-to-peer networking and more.
Success looks like...
- You have collaborated with colleagues and contributed heavily adding several key capabilities to the Ceramic Protocol and other core products, built with consideration for scalability, and test coverage to ensure a high quality implementation.
- You have helped mature the Ceramic testing infrastructure to enable us to ship new versions and features quickly while maintaining a high bar of quality
- You have helped improve the experience for developers building on Ceramic. Every feature or API you work on is clear, well-documented, and free of any major surprises. Overall developers find Ceramic easy to understand and build on
- You have worked with the community to increase understanding and adoption of Ceramic by doing such things as improving documentation, answering community questions, speaking publicly about Ceramic, etc.
You're likely a good fit if you have...
- Deep mastery of one or more programming languages - Typescript, Go and Rust preferred
- Experience with highly distributed systems, especially with horizontal scaling, databases, etc.
- Experience with multi-threaded/highly concurrent software
- Built and supported infrastructure software used by other developers to run their production applications
- Strong communication and collaboration skills around architecture trade-offs, and a desire to work as part of a team committed to a common goal
- Passion to enable for great developer experiences and understanding the importance of robust testing frameworks
- Knowledge of p2p database systems
- Knowledge with libp2p & ipfs
- Experience with distributed consensus, peer-to-peer systems, blockchains are a big plus
Bonus points for…
Care: We work with passionate teammates committed to a shared purpose and support each other to work better and live well.
Act with intention: We are thoughtful doers who put as much into why and how we do something as what we do.
Go further, together: Our mission is too big for us alone. We cultivate trust, ask for help, and build momentum together.
Drive incredible impact: We aim for massive impact and we deliver.
Benefits and Perks
*Our benefits align with our values and operating model - we want everyone to help own and drive our purpose in their own way, with compensation and benefits to match.
*Generous equity for everyone
*Competitive salary that is fair across the globe
*Unlimited vacation and flexible working hours
*Budgets for learning, thought leadership, and community events
*In person team retreats twice a year