About Cow Protocol
We are an ambitious, fast growing and international team working at the forefront of DeFi. We believe that we can make markets both more efficient and fair, by building the ultimate batch auction settlement layer across EVM compatible blockchains.
We have been part of Gnosis since 2017 - one of the first projects building on Ethereum - and are now in the process of gaining our independence. We are looking to extend our team with high performers who are willing to take ownership and are focused on impact. If you are a team player who also strongly believes in the importance of integrity and long-termism of the ecosystem, you might fit right in!
Location: Onsite or remote
Position: Full-time contractor
About the role
We are looking for an enthusiastic, self-motivated backend engineer to help us build the next generation of decentralised trading protocols. As a dedicated systems engineer, you will gain ownership of our existing backend services, as well as have the ability to influence the creation, design, and execution of future features and products. You will work on technically challenging aspects of our off-chain services as well as our developer-facing APIs and make sure we deliver reliable and performant features to improve the core CoW protocol.
You will have the opportunity to work with us on this challenge in one of our existing co-working spaces in Berlin or Lisbon. Alternatively, you can join us as a remote employee and work from your hometown, where we can also provide a membership for a local coworking space.
What you will do
- Develop new functionality for both our off-chain services (optimising transaction execution, scaling order throughput, increase protocol decentralisation) as well as our APIs (price estimation & order placement, real-time blockchain state monitoring, client communication channels)
- While your focus will be writing concurrent backend systems in Rust, you will also interact with our Smart Contracts written in Solidity and develop your understanding of auction mechanisms and Decentralized Finance.
- Work closely with researchers and product managers to ship features and come up with new solutions for challenging technological problems
- Deliver high quality code for features from concept until production (including state of the art monitoring of our production systems)
- Give thoughtful and in-depth code reviews of your colleagues’ contributions to our open source codebase
Our Tech Stack
Product Code: Rust, Tokio, Cargo, Git
Deployment: Docker, Kubernetes, Grafana, Prometheus, Kibana
Who you are
- You have 3+ years of experience with distributed systems engineering, preferably in Rust (Go, C++, Java or similar)
- You have excellent computer science, programming and algorithmic skills
- You care deeply about the quality and readability of your code
- You proactively giving technical direction such as improving performance, preventing issues, data usage, refactoring the codebase
- You are a team player, strong communicator and love to share your knowledge with others
- You collaborate effectively with a remote-first team on a large, open source codebase
- Understanding of the Ethereum blockchain and ecosystem, general finance and/or game theory and mechanism design.
- Experience with architecting complex software systems
What we can offer you
- Flexible work environment: join one of our hubs in Berlin or Lisbon or work remotely with the option of joining a local coworking space
- Regular trips to reunite with the rest of the team
- Conference budget to keep up to date with the developments of the ecosystem
- Learning budget to support your higher ambitions
- Impact: you are joining a startup where you can make a huge difference. Your work matters!
We look forward to your application!
At Cow Protocol, we strive to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees. We believe that our products and services benefit from our diverse backgrounds and experiences and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer: all qualified applicants are considered for positions regardless of race, ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, marital status, gender identification, sexual orientation, or physical ability.