About the jobJoin our small, fiery team on our mission to usher in the Bitcoin golden age.
Shakepay is one of the fastest growing startups in Canada. We've grown 10x in the last year. 2% of Canadians are on Shakepay. We're building something really special. We need true believers to join our team. We're looking for ambitious professionals with a thirst for knowledge that are interested in working with the most exciting financial innovation ever created: Bitcoin.
Bitcoin is important because it enables wealth to be stored with a person without need for a third party. Its fundamental use-case as a store of value with a predictable monetary policy is having profound implications on freeing people into financial sovereignty.
Senior Data Engineer
We’ve got data for days: financial data, crypto purchases and sales data, customer card payment data, cashback and rewards programs data, P2P payment data—all of it important, all of it sensitive, all of it private, and all of it needs the best infrastructure around it to make the best use of it.
Like Rome needed Appius Claudius Caecus for its aqueducts (he built them), we need a data engineer for our data pipelines (to build them).
You’ll be the first platform-focused member of our growing data team and work closely with engineering to design, evaluate, and implement data infrastructure and tools as we build out our mature data stack. We have the ambition to provide all Canadians with bitcoin-backed consumer financial services and your work will have an immediate impact on making that happen.
If you could be our Appius and build an app with us, who’d be happy?—us! And we hope you’d be happy too, that just doesn’t rhyme.
You will :
- Build ELT/ETL data pipelines responsible for data ingestion and integration from various sources (batch and streaming) into Shakepay’s internal data platform, and work closely with our Core & Internal Systems engineering teams to incorporate changes from those sources into our downstream processes
- Design, deploy and maintain architecture to support those pipelines; task orchestration, CI/CD pipelines for data processing, data cataloging & documentation, and data monitoring & observability
- Work closely with data analysts & scientists to understand their needs and support their projects
- Help administer the data platform; user administration, data access policies, and performance/cost optimization
- Translate business requirements into architectural designs with estimates
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and comfort operating in a remote work context
- 4+ years of experience writing Python code in a data context
- 4+ years of experience working with cloud data warehouses (we use Snowflake)
- 3+ years of cloud architecture experience in a data context (our main cloud provider is AWS)
- 3+ years of experience with task orchestration systems in a data context (ie. Apache Airflow, Prefect, Dagster, etc)
- Advanced SQL skills
- Experience with Docker
- Familiarity with the principles of the modern data stack and analytics engineering frameworks like dbt
- Experience with Infrastructure-as-code frameworks like Terraform
- 2000+ years of experience as a Roman aqueduct
- Some Kubernetes experience
- Working experience in crypto or fintec
- Potentially life-changing stock options. We believe everyone at Shakepay should have the financial upside for building a generational company
- Remote-friendly work environment: work from anywhere in Canada. If you're in Montreal, you can work from the office
- Generous vacation time: we think time off is essential, and highly encourage it
- Personal development: we're here to help you define and hit your personal career goals so that you can get where you want to be
- Continued learning: every Shaker gets a yearly budget to spend on learning
- Employer-covered group insurance: health, dental, paramedical, disability and travel coverage to ensure you're at your best
- Get paid in Bitcoin: choose to take a percentage of your salary in the hardest, soundest money the world has ever known
- A collaborative and friendly team: we succeed together and we have fun doing it
- MacBook: company-issued laptop to make sure you're doing your best work
- Equipment stipend: every Shaker receives a stipend to use toward setting up their home office
Shakepay helps Canadians buy and sell bitcoin and pay their friends. We offer web and mobile apps that make it easy for Canadians to buy bitcoin in minutes with Interac e-Transfer. Shakepay is the fastest-growing bitcoin platform in Canada.
At Shakepay we're committed to promoting and celebrating diversity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from everyone, regardless of background and life experience. If you want to be a part of something momentous then we're excited to hear from you.
Please note that while all of our roles are remote, we are a Canadian company and will not be sponsoring visas for this position. You must be eligible to work in Canada to be selected.