About Protocol Labs
Protocol Labs drives breakthroughs in computing to push humanity forward. Protocol Labs is a product-development lab, but behind the protocols and tools we build, behind the research and implementations, are passionate people, teammates, and community members. Most teams in the Protocol Labs Network are fully distributed and work remotely around the world. Engineers, researchers, and operators work in the open to improve the internet — humanity's most important technology — as we explore new advances at the intersection of many exciting fields (crypto, networks, distributed systems) and cultures (startups, research, open-source, distributed work).
We seek talented human catalysts with a passion for guiding teams to deliver quantifiable results in a structured process, interfacing with stakeholders and consumers of the tech produced, and ensuring that these results support Protocol Labs’ topline objectives.
We are hiring a Technical Program Manager to help drive and coordinate development of IPFS, Filecoin, and libp2p. We're looking for people who thoroughly understand the underlying principles of distributed systems, open source projects and networks, coordination and management of large engineering teams, and who will lean into the challenges of applying these principles to deliver open-source code that will be deployed worldwide.
As a Technical Program Manager, you will engage with an experienced interdisciplinary team to design and build resilient systems for tomorrow’s web. You will work closely with the product and engineering teams to define structured workplans for our engineering teams, and ultimately be responsible for the successful execution and delivery of these projects. You must be adaptive, execution-oriented, and able to succeed within a fast-paced environment.
The Technical Program Manager is responsible for creating the project plan, schedule, and key milestones. You will work with the product manager to derive the product requirements and obtain executive approval. The Technical Program Manager will drive and motivate the cross-functional team to deliver the product(s) as per requirements. You will be responsible for the coordination and management of different working groups or stakeholders to deliver on the plan.
As a Technical Program Manager at Protocol Labs, you will...
- Lead the efficient delivery of cross-functional projects
- Interact with a multitude of Web3 and Research projects and other key stakeholders to define and deliver complex projects and features
- Drive team decision-making on technical decisions and ensure that appropriate resources are employed to deliver high quality results
- Identify, assess, track and mitigate issues and risks at multiple levels
- Create, maintain and disseminate project information to stakeholders
- Drive execution of projects
- Lead cross functional project meetings, communication, and decision making
- Lead milestone reviews & present project status to the executive team
- Keep program artifacts up to date and manage project document repository
- Drive quarterly goal setting, prioritization, and individual work coordination
You may be a good fit for this role if you have...
- Be comfortable discussing with engineers, understand the technology and develop a good intuition to aid on the decision making process
- Experienced in gathering requirements, developing specifications, and driving execution
- Product & Project Management experience.
- Experience managing hardware/software product releases
- Ability to drive effective teamwork, communication, collaboration and commitment across multiple disparate groups
- Experience with leading 3rd party teams, engineering teams and business stakeholders
- Experience managing technical teams
- Working with distributed teams
- Experience working in Open Source projects
- Experience working in Volunteer led organizations
- Demonstrated ability to manage project/task prioritization, project planning and schedule development
- Proven success of influencing and developing productive working relationships with diverse technical teams and stakeholders
- Strong technical and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
If you’re passionate about the future of computing and a more democratized internet, we want to talk to you.
GDPR for Job Applicants and Candidates
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Protocol Labs, Inc. (“Protocol Labs”), which is located at 427 N Tatnall St #51207, Wilmington, Delaware 19801 and can be contacted by emailing legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Protocol Labs’ data protection team can be contacted via legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Protocol Labs’ recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Protocol Labs, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Protocol Labs to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Protocol Labs’ behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards.
Your personal data will be retained by Protocol Labs as long as Protocol Labs determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment or to assist in the hiring process. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have the right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.