About the jobCompany Description
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
Block's Information Security culture is focused on enabling our engineering teams to build and ship secure products. We achieve this by designing, building, and maintaining state-of-the-art security alongside our product and infrastructure teams.
As a Security Engineer on the Kubernetes Security team, you will contribute to improving the security of Block's Kubernetes environments.
We’re looking for someone with both a broad knowledge of security and systems, as well as experience or interest in containerized workloads running in the cloud. The ideal candidate will have other experience across a range of technical disciplines with a strong foundation in security engineering and experience with modern cloud computing practices.
- Collaborate and contribute to the design of security services. This includes maintaining or creating API-driven services/systems for Kubernetes in multiple environments (AWS EKS, GCP GKE, on-prem).
- Work closely with infrastructure and Kubernetes platform teams, to provide guidance on security best practices and promote security best practices
- Help shape the way Block leverages and secures Kubernetes for years to come.
- 2 years minimum experience in software engineering or security engineering roles.
- Familiarity with AWS or GCP
- Proficiency with at least one of or equivalent (Python, Go. and/or Ruby)
- Kubernetes experience
- Experience managing or developing services on Kubernetes, or extending Kubernetes.
- Experience implementing Kubernetes security and hardening, whether as a security engineer or as an infrastructure engineer.
- Familiarity with AWS EKS or GCP GKE, or other managed Kubernetes platforms
- Security experience
- Experience building tools to solve security issues. This could be writing security tools or automation/management of security-sensitive environments.
- Familiarity with infrastructure, container, application, network security.
- Strong desire to grow and learn in security domains
- Experience with OPA and Rego
- Experience in cloud automation tools such as Terraform, CloudFormation, Ansible, etc.
- You work well cross-functionally and can communicate with audiences who may not have a security background.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $167,300 - USD $204,500
Zone B: USD $158,900 - USD $194,300
Zone C: USD $150,600 - USD $184,000
Zone D: USD $142,200 - USD $173,800
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits Include The Following
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.