About the jobPosition Type
Type Of Hire
Experienced (relevant combo of work and education)
Bachelor of Law
10 - 15%
Are you motivated and forward-thinking? At FIS you will have the opportunity to work on some of the most challenging and relevant issues in financial services and technology. Our talented people empower us and we believe in being part of a team that is open, collaborative, entrepreneurial and passionate.
We are looking for a proactive and solution-oriented attorney to provide legal and regulatory guidance in the design, implementation and scaling of highly innovative financial products and services.
FIS is a leading provider of technology solutions for merchants, banks and capital markets firms globally. Our more than 70,000 people are dedicated to advancing the way the world pays, banks and invests by applying our scale, deep expertise and data-driven insights. We help our clients use technology in innovative ways to solve business-critical challenges and deliver superior experiences for their customers. Headquartered in Jacksonville, Florida, FIS is a Fortune 500® company and is a member of Standard & Poor’s 500® Index.
About The Team
The FIS legal team is comprised of approximately 200 attorneys and paraprofessionals worldwide who enjoy being an advisor to and partner with our businesses to help the company achieve its goals. We work collaboratively with each other and with our business colleagues to solve problems in an effective and pragmatic manner. This is an exciting opportunity to join the FIS regulatory compliance legal team to work on innovative and emerging payment solutions and services worldwide. The role requires an experienced regulatory counsel that balances a high-growth mindset with world-class compliance and control skills.
What You Will Be Doing
This role requires a balance between (a) building new products and services and expanding into new jurisdictions, with (b) the need to build a functional and effective compliance framework in each market of operations. The role will require the successful candidate to~
- Act as a legal advisor to FIS businesses focused on innovative products and services, including crypto, digital assets and Web3
- Partner with multiple product teams around the world to structure payments products to achieve company strategy while complying with applicable regulations in multiple jurisdictions
- Support business transactions, including partnering with the business and the commercial legal team on deal structure and negotiation of complex, bespoke transactions
- Identify potential issues and provide strategic guidance to minimize legal and compliance risk from high-risk sector payments, including products involving crypto and other digital assets, payment facilitators (PayFacs), disbursement products and Alternative Payment Methods (APMs)
- Support our global product roadmap to accelerate speed to market and advance strategic initiatives in emerging sectors
- Provide commercial, legal and regulatory guidance on the design, modification and geographical expansion of products and services
- Translate legal and regulatory requirements into functional specifications and standard operational procedures and provide ongoing regulatory advice and guidance on internal policies and changing regulations
- Actively respond to regulatory changes (such as emerging regulations in the cryptocurrency and payments industry) by monitoring legislation, educating business partners and working cross-functionally with compliance, risk and business segments to respond in a manner that achieves compliance while minimizing client impact
- Relevant qualifications and 7 years of experience in payments or FinTech, with at least 3 years of focus on relevant regulatory compliance issues
- Enthusiasm and interest in emerging digital technologies, products and regulatory developments in the crypto, Web3, blockchain technology and FinTech industries
- Confident self-starter with strong interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to provide sound legal advice, exercise good judgement, and work well with senior management and cross functional stakeholders
- Subject matter expert in compliance and regulatory standards applicable to payment institutions, cryptocurrency businesses, or other highly regulated money services businesses in the applicable region(s) to ensure applicable requirements are being met
- Familiarity with and strong interest in emerging payments technology and the financial services industry
- Experience working in regulated environment of financial services industry
- A multifaceted job with a high degree of responsibility and a broad spectrum of opportunities
- The chance to work on some of the most challenging, relevant issues in financial services & technology
- A work environment built on collaboration, flexibility and respect
FIS is committed to protecting the privacy and security of all personal information that we process in order to provide services to our clients. For specific information on how FIS protects personal information online, please see the Online Privacy Notice .
FIS is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here supplement document available here
For positions located in the US, the following conditions apply. If you are made a conditional offer of employment, you will be required to undergo a drug test. ADA Disclaimer~ In developing this job description care was taken to include all competencies needed to successfully perform in this position. However, for Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) purposes, the essential functions of the job may or may not have been described for purposes of ADA reasonable accommodation. All reasonable accommodation requests will be reviewed and evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Recruitment at FIS works primarily on a direct sourcing model; a relatively small portion of our hiring is through recruitment agencies. FIS does not accept resumes from recruitment agencies which are not on the preferred supplier list and is not responsible for any related fees for resumes submitted to job postings, our employees, or any other part of our company.