About the jobCompany Description
Afterpay is transforming the way we pay by allowing customers to buy products immediately and pay for their purchases over four installments. The service is completely free⁵ for customers who pay on time - helping people spend responsibly. As of December 31, 2021, Afterpay is offered by more than 122,000 of the world’s favorite retailers and more than 19 million active customers have adopted the service.
Afterpay is currently available in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United States and the United Kingdom, France, Italy and Spain, where it is known as Clearpay. Afterpay is on a mission to power an economy in which everyone wins. Afterpay is a wholly owned subsidiary of Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ).
As a Software Engineer on the Risk & Data Science Engineering team you will be responsible for developing software to make an immediate impact on our product. The Software Engineer will influence many aspects of our business through architecting our core risk systems. This is an exciting opportunity to make a direct, tangible impact on our product and work on projects that are pivotal to our team’s success and our company’s growth.
You Will Be
- Designing, building and owning the services and infrastructure that manages Afterpay’s financial risk.
- Owning features and functions throughout their lifecycle from inception, rollout, launch, scale and iteration.
- Working in cross-functional Product teams responsible for the discovery, delivery and validation of product features via microservices, APIs, Web-apps etc.
- Working closely with the software engineering team following our software development principles, guided by the Staff Engineers and Engineering Managers.
- Experience in architecting large scale distributed systems
- Solid experience in building and maintaining applications that utilize a modern programming language - Java, Kotlin, Python and Golang.
- Familiarity with popular technologies such as Spingboot, Hibernate, RESFUL API, Cassandra, AWS etc
- Expertise in mentoring and coaching junior developers.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources