About the job
Wintermute is one of the largest algorithmic trading firms in digital assets globally. We manage hundreds of millions in assets and trade more than $5B+/day across dozens of different trading platforms. Culturally, we combine 1) the highest standards of technological and trading sophistication from traditional financial markets and 2) technology startup nature, as we are moving very fast and empowering people to act like owners.
Wintermute provides liquidity algorithmically across most vested exchanges in crypto, across CeFi and DeFi, on-screen and OTC, as well as supports high profile blockchain projects. At Wintermute, we believe in the decentralization of finance and we believe that trading companies of the future are technology companies, not financial services providers.
In DeFi, Wintermute is known to be one of the largest algorithmic traders in DeFi. We support all major DEX, trading platforms, AMMs and we work with most major chains. Wintermute is an official market maker for many prominent blockchain projects and we actively support the DeFi ecosystem by investing in early stage projects, helping them kick-start and maintain liquidity and collaborating/co-creating products with promising projects.
Wintermute is a hyper-growth highly profitable proprietary trading business. We are backed by Lightspeed, Pantera Capital, Sino Global Capital, Blockchain.com Ventures, Avon Ventures by Fidelity Investments, DeFi Alliance and other top tier investors. Learn more about our team and culture on our website and Evgeny’s post here.
Working at Wintermute
We are looking for a DeFi Software Engineer who has a deep understanding of blockchain and is curious about algorithmic trading. At Wintermute, you will have the opportunity to develop your own product (trading algorithms, trading strategies, trading applications, potentially new trading products, and related infrastructure), while also getting advice and guidance from very experienced developers and traders, including the management team. You will get a lot of independence and responsibility right away, and you'll learn at an unprecedented speed! No legacy systems, no corporate bureaucracy, no multiple levels of approvals. It is up to you to make an impact! You will work alongside exceptionally sharp DeFi experts, CeFi developers and traders, learn how to write fail-safe code and squeeze every millisecond of program performance, a real challenge and a rare opportunity!
What will you work on
A great advantage of this position is that it is varied and it is also up to you to shape it in the direction that matches your talents and company needs. Projects may include: connecting to a new DeFi protocol or new blockchain (e.g. Solana), designing and building a new smart contract, setting up and maintaining node infrastructure, completely owning development and overview trading for a specific protocol or DEX exchange. You will be tracking all major developments in DeFi, analysing trading data or transaction data, generating insights, prioritising them and building a solution from scratch. We will share more technical details in the interviews. The point is: there is no limit set by the company!
Hard skills requirements
- Deep understanding of blockchain, smart contracts, Ethereum and decentralized protocols - we will test!
- Knowledge of other chains (Solana, Polkadot) is an advantage
- Programming fundamentals (in C++, C#, Java, OOP)
- Blockchain fundamentals (consensus, nodes, miners, forks, transactions, web3)
- 2-3 years development of smart contracts and working on DeFi projects and protocols is an advantage, but if you are a self-taught genius or a DeFi enthusiast working on own projects, that may work too
- Trading knowledge isn’t required but willingness and curiosity to learn algorithmic, high-frequency, quantitative, market making trading is crucial
- Excellent quantitative and analytical skills
Write to us if you
- Love coding, love problem solving, and love seeing your products work
- Love building things
- Curious about algorithmic trading and financial markets
- Determined, ambitious yet humble, willing to work hard and learn on the way
- Like meritocracy and being judged by what you deliver
- Like working like an owner, not 9-to-5 or contractor mentality
- Like working in the team environment (not fully remote), at least half-time working from our London office
- A unique opportunity to work on very interesting projects, get the level of responsibility and ownership that would be unlikely at any other project or trading firm
- A unique opportunity to join one of the strongest and most successful DeFi teams globally
- With Wintermute you don’t make a bet on a single product, platform, chain or technology; we’ll win if DeFi wins as a whole
- Great company culture: informal, non-hierarchical, ambitious, highly professional yet collaborative and entrepreneurial
- A cool office in central London with a sci-fi touch
- We support significant flexibility in regards to working from home and working hours; however, we require hard/smart work and >60% work from the office; we are unable to accept remote candidates
- Weekly team events, such as team lunches, team dinners, team board games and Dota playing sessions; these are not obligatory in any sense, but this is what we like to do
- Aligned incentive structure: a significant part of your compensation is similar to that of owners - significant performance-based variable pay and the best thing - your contribution directly impacts both and the upside is unlimited
- We offer standard perks too, like pension, private health insurance, free food and office gym, but that’s probably not the right reason to join us
- We offer UK work permits and help in relocation
Tips for a successful application
- Only apply to us if you are genuinely interested or curious about this role and DeFi space; this is not for someone who is just looking for "a job"
- This is a London based role; we may be open to exceptional candidates who prefer to be based in Singapore; we do not accept fully remote candidates
- Do some research: look at our website and social media channels
- Write us a short, honest, and direct message if you'd like to apply. Tell us about why you are interested in DeFi in general and in Wintermute in particular. Do not send us generic copy paste applications, we are looking for authentic people who share our interests, values and ambitions!
- If you don't have an obviously matching experience or skills, make sure you state very clearly what you can bring or how your experience is relevant (but note, we do require deep blockchain development expertise)
- Prepare to be tested on your blockchain knowledge. We do not care as much about your credentials (university or prior employer), but we care a lot about your knowledge and ability to get things done
- Unfortunately, we won't be able to proceed if you simply press "submit button"; we do promise to reply to everyone who puts time and effort in making the application relevant!
- Codility - Python (or any OO language) + reasoning tests
- Take Home Case Study - DeFi related
- Interview with DeFi development team (with a written task included)
- Interview with the DeFi Traders
- Interview with the Head of Talent or COO